D.Levine Industries

Welcome to D.Levine Industries, the Quality alternative to mass-produced MegaCorp junk!

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

What is there to know? Read the blog, you'll get it.

18 April 2006

I Agree with You, in Theory. IN THEORY, Communism Works. IN THEORY.

Today, for you, a hypothetical proposition.

Suppose for a moment that I had the power to offer you perfect comfort, absolutely guaranteed, for the rest of your life. You would never need to worry about food, shelter, security, or entertainment for as long as you live. No tricks, no caveats, just one stipulation.

In order to take advantage of this offer, you have to give up any possibility of ever having any sort of romantic relationship.

Would you accept the offer?

Feel free to post your answer in the comments.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Charles Horatio Xavier King III, Esq. said...

Heh, fascinating question. Right now I'm inclined to say "Yes." If I felt like the odds of a successful romantic relationship were larger, I'd probably hesitate now.

So, will you share your answer when we're done?

4:58 PM  
Blogger David R. Nevel said...

Perhaps!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that security and entertainment are two of the benefits of a long lasting romantic relationship, I think your offer loses some ground. Also, I know that in this theoretical arrangement, it is assumed that you would never be profoundly unhappy, but I can't help but imagine that someone has given up hope- which is what you're doing when you exchange the uncertain chance of love for a lifetime of predictability- would lose something essential to humanity.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one's easy: NO! Time and time again human experience has shown that material comforts are no substitute for human intimacy. I for one would rather live in a cardboard box with my gorgeous wife smiling at me than in a million-dollar home with no hope of meeting anybody.

Also, I think it would quickly become boring to live without any need to aspire to some higher goal, financial or otherwise.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home